vendredi 31 juillet 2009

AC/DC's Brian Johnson says he's retiring


AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson wants to retire - this, despite the fact that the band have just kicked off a 27-date, sold-out US tour of stadiums and arenas.


Not to mention the remaining Black Ice dates the band have booked well into 2010.

In an interview with Classic Rock magazine, Johnson revealed, "We were talking about the end of the tour and I said, 'We're finishing in May - and that's me done!'

"But [rhythm guitarist] Malcolm [Young] said, 'What are you talkin' about? We're not gonna let you retire!'"

Almost four decades of rocking

"I don't want for people to see me on stage and say, 'Oh, poor old fucker, the band's carrying him!'"

Needless to say, AC/DC know how important it is to hold onto a vocalist, especially one who's proven himself over 30 years. (2010 will mark the start of Johnson's fourth decade in the band, having assumed frontman duties after original singer Bon Scott died in February 1980.)

Although Johnson attempted to tender his resignation, his bandmates pursuaded him to put off shuffleboard and bingo - for now. As it currently stands, the singer will stick with AC/DC until they fulfill festival obligations, which could last into 2011.

The 61-year-old Johnson admits he's no spring chicken, but he does his level best to stay road-tough: "I try to keep myself fit, and I love it being in this band...but the other lads are in their early fifties. I'm the old dog in the regiment. I don't want for people to see me on stage and say, 'Oh, poor old fucker, the band's carrying him!'"

Here's AC/DC two nights ago performing their opening number Thunderstruck before 46,000 fans at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts. We ask you, does it look like the band is carrying him?



Source : musicradar

Aucun commentaire: